Cholangiocarcinoma involving the hepatic bifurcation are categorized as hilar bile duct cancer or Klatskin tumors.
The majority of tumors are perihilar involving the hepatic bifurcation. Bile duct cancer accounts for 3% of gastrointestinal malignancies yearly or 5,000 new cases a year.
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
- Choledochal Cysts
- Pyogenic Cholangiohepatitis
- Biliary Parasites (Clonorchis sinensis)
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss
- Type 1- Below hepatic bifurcation
- Type 2- At Hepatic bifurcation
- Type 3- Extends up the right hepatic duct
- Type 4- Extends up the left hepatic duct